Slalom skills equip a paddler to tackle rapids, white-water and surf. They give confidence from the precision turning and the understanding of white-water formation. The command the paddler develops in paddling moving water is easily translated to wild water (Downriver) Racing. The Slalom skills also translate to freestyle kayaking with many of the world’s top freestylers coming from a slalom background.
Interested in any of our AKC junior program email firstname.lastname@example.org
Slalom Training/Coaching is held at AKC every Wednesday Night.
Paddle Passport is from 4.30-6pm and other squads are 5.00pm to 6.30pm
- Introductory/Paddle Passport,
- Development Squad,
- Slalom Skills Group and
- Advanced Senior Squad
Slalom training is also frequently offered on Sundays at 9.30am with either surfing at Point Peron or at Walyunga National Park.
- AKC Slalom Head Coach – Cody Pope (since August 2015) – Certified Swift-water Rescue Operator 2017
- Certified Level 1 Coaches – Senior – Bevan Dashwood, Ben Pope
- Certified Level 1 Coaches – Alexandra Vogel, Steven Lowther, Brodie Crawford
- Trainee Coach – Isaac Sealey
Paddlers acting as Instructors and escorts, safety is maintained under AKC Risk Management Policy.
- Certified Flat-water Instructors – Mitchell & Cameron Vogel, Clare & Jane Pankhurst, Nina Mueller