CITY LIGHTS LONG DISTANCE RACE
The Event is held each long weekend in March on the Sunday. It has 30 km of everything from the tranquil isolation of the Canning River to the sometimes turbulent Perth waters. Near the Narrows Bridge at sunset, the looming city comes to life casting a spectacular backdrop as a myriad of luminous lights cast a magical setting across the moonlit waters to the South Perth foreshore. The hard slog of the homeward paddle is ‘lessened’ with the realisation that awaiting paddlers is the luxury of the AKC Clubrooms where a lavish meal, hot showers, band and most importantly a captive audience waiting to hear the tales of yet another race accomplished.
It is a unique challenge. It is not a novice race – you must have the skills and experience to cope with the course length, the exposed waters in the the middle of the course, and night paddling. The relay option allows you to divide the distance between two teams: The first tackling a 13km daylight leg and the second a 17km twilight/night leg.
WELCOME TO CITY LIGHTS – 5 Mar 2023
30km Day/Night race
ALL RACERS MUST REGISTER [BOTH/ALL TEAM MEMBERS]
Register at this link https://www.webscorer.com/register?pid=1&raceid=302990
Registrations open February 1st, 2023
Upgraded event this year Spit roast food (vegetarian available) and music. Bring the family for support and stay to enjoy the music and food. Food must be preordered at registration.
• Start All competitors: Riverton Bridge Park.
• Compulsory portage & light check at Narrows
• Finish: Ascot Kayak Club
• Must race in pairs or team boats, no solo
• Relay option available (2 teams of 2) change at Narrows
• Car shuffle required between Riverton and Ascot
SAFETY EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Half of this race happens after dark.
ALL COMPETITORS TO WEAR or HAVE (To be checked at registration) :
• 360degree white light,
• Enough boat buoyancy,
• Appropriate marathon boat
• PA member entrants includes dinner & music at Ascot
• additional fee for non PA members (ie you do not belong to a club) You really should join a club!
• Supporters dinner ticket = Adult, Child
• Categories: Open, Veteran (45+), Mixed, Relay Team
• Age applies at year end, Pair must both be in age category or enter in “Open”
• No Junior categories, if accepted they race as ‘Open’. Participants must be 16+ on 06/03/2022
• Competitors under 18 must have parent permission.
• Must have competed in previous distance events (i.e. Avon, Marathons etc.)
4.00 pm Registration Opens (Note: No race entries at registration – must enter online)
5.00 pm Race Briefing – All participants must be present
5.30 pm Race Starts – 5 min grid intervals, slower teams first
Ascot [at end]:
8:20 pm First paddlers due at finish line
8.00 pm Food available
9.30 pm Presentations and Prize Giving [will take place even if some racers not finished]
Date: 5 Mar 2023
Registration is now open… use the link below to enter.
Dinner after the race is also included as part of the entry fee – extra dinner vouchers for family and friends can be booked via the registration page.
• $58.00 all PA member entrants includes dinner & music at Ascot
• additional $20 fee for non PA members (ie you do not belong to a club) You really should join a club!
• Supporters dinner ticket = $25 Adult, $15 Child
Contact: Chris Hollier